Saturday, July 4, 2009

Proud To Be An American!


Today is a celebration of freedom. Many Americans will have picnics, cookouts and parties today. There will be many fireworks displays this evening to celebrate the day. It is great to be an American!

However, do we celebrate today for freedom or has this holiday turned into what most holidays have, a reason for families and friends to get together. During this time in our country, it is easy to criticize our government. There are many things not going well - the economy, foreclosures, high gas prices, inflation, high unemployment, civil right issues and many other issues causing hardship for American citizens. I think we should at least take a moment today and remember what is good in this country. We have freedom to worship. Our children can go to school. We can speak our minds. We can criticize our government without worrying about retaliation from the government. We have the right to be individuals. So take a moment and remember what we do have to celebrate today.

I want to thank all the men and women who have dedicated their lives to protect our freedoms. My prayers go out to our service men and women. Thank You!

Below are the lyrics from a song we all should sing today.


God Bless The USA
by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone, I’d worked for all my life. And I had to start again,with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars, to be livin here today. ‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,and they can’t take that away.
And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.
From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee. Across the plains of Texas, From sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston, and New York to L.A. Well there's pride in every American heart, and its time we stand and say.
That I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.
And I’m proud to be and American, where at least I know I’m free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.

1 comment:

  1. America is a great country. Two of my children see fit to serve in the armed forces of this nation. I too am thankful to live here, even if by nature I am a second-class citizen. At least I do not live in some of the "Americanized" middle eastern countries, where I would be a candidate for public ridicule and even execution for "being gay".

    America's independence was a remarkable thing back in 1776 and remains a great day to celebrate. However, the Declaration of Independence states that "all men are created equal". Nothing is said about women and the only men who were considered equal were white as snow. Right now, in the year 2009, we are about as free as we can be. All thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete