Saturday, July 25, 2009

Greeting Cards!


Recently David received a birthday card that had an obituary in it. The obituary was about a former classmate from high school. When I received my birthday card back in February, I had the immense pleasure of reading my card and opening the gift that was sent with it. My gift was the last volume of the Harry Potter series. Tucked in the first page of the book was my mother's obituary. She passed away a couple weeks before my birthday. I find it interesting that we both got cards celebrating our birth with the obituaries in them.

So my morbid thinking kicked in! What if this was a new trend? Multiple themes in one greeting card. This would save money! You would get a birthday and sympathy card all in one. You could get a Christmas and sympathy card in one. How exciting this would be! What would really make it even more special would be to make them the singing cards. Below I came up with two of these wonderful cards.

Birthday - Sympathy Card
Tune is "Happy Birthday to You"

Happy birthday to you!
Your mother turned blue!
Happy birthday dear Bill!
She is buried on the hill!

Christmas - Sympathy Card
Tune is "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"

We wish you a merry Christmas.
Your Aunt is no longer with us.
We wish you a merry Christmas.
We buried her this past year.

Please forgive my morbid cards. I just find it strange that someone would put a death notice in a birthday card!

3 comments:

  1. You two are not alone. Just ask Dad about Jeremy's birthday card this year. Some people need to just let a happy occasion be just that happy, and when it is over then bring up the unhappy thoughts. I will never understand why people do strange things. Guess that is why I gave up on psychology and am diving into accounting and numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I love the singing cards!

    Perhaps it's morbid to others, but I think in a way getting an obit in a birthday card is very symbolic. It reminds you even more how precious life is and how short it can be, to enjoy each day because living does not go on forever.

    ReplyDelete