Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You Can't Take Any Of It With You.


First, In the past couple of weeks, we have lost a musician, an actress, a sidekick, and a famous pitchman. I imagine this has left many people wondering about their mortality. Some of these individuals signify an end of an era. Those of us heading into our golden years were teenagers when we idolized a few of these famous people. Thus, making us notice how old we are getting and how we are getting closer to those twilight years.

Second, no matter how much wealth, possessions, and status we have accumulated in our lives, we all have to face becoming old. Will we end up in nursing homes or will we be healthy and able to live life at home? Will our children take care of us when needed or will they consider it to much of a burden and pass us off to some institution to care for our needs? Will we have enough money saved to retire and enjoy the fruits of our labor or will we be struggling to survive? These questions have been going through my mind the past few weeks. I am heading towards 50 and not in the best of health. I understand 50 is not considered old. However, when you're not in good health, 50 is a scary number. I feel like I am a teenager inside at times, but my body will not cooperate. My mother used to say she was a 16 year old stuck in an old body. I would look at her and smile. I never thought I would be saying the same thing to my children.

Finally, I find myself evaluating my life. Mid life crisis? I realized no matter what wealth, possessions, or status I have accumulated in my life, it will all fade away and be forgotten someday. When our heart beats for the last time, when we take that last breath of life, none of that will matter. Dying is a personal situation between you and God. No one can do it for you. You cannot hire someone to take your place. I realize, I have been blessed with people who love me and whom I love. I have been blessed with the gift of life. In the end, you can't take any of it with you.

1 comment: